Tuesday 5 January 2010

E is for... Eagerness

Yesterday I got to thinking about spring. In the supermarket the selection boxes have been replaced by Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies. Warm winter clothes are being sold off in the sales, and new stock consists of summer skirts and skimpy shirts. Now Christmas is firmly behind us I decided it’s time to take the Christmas tree down and start getting ready for spring. I eagerly bought a little bunch of tulips and set them on my window sill, and undressed the tree ready to be taken to the recycling place.



However by this morning I was proven a little too enthusiastic in my spring-has-sprung philosophy. I drew back the curtains to see the most snow I think I have even seen in this country. Last night there was the sprinkling of snow which has lingered over the past few weeks, but this morning there was an incredible glistening white blanket over every visible thing. The trees were almost groaning with the weight of it. Forget spring... winter is here to stay for now, I might as well get used to it.


So, today has been a snow day for me and the Pilot. Neither of us was supposed to be working, but there was some intention to leave the apartment at some point. However, one look out the window told us that the cars were not going anywhere. The Christmas tree remains in place – only sad and naked, and thankfully the tulips of optimism bring some much needed colour into the kitchen. I love the snow, and I love the excuse to stay in and find some good old fashioned entertainment. The Pilot sat on the floor and made a Meccano helicopter (a Christmas gift from yours truly), and I used
this pattern to make my first creation with the sewing machine. It has been the Boxing Day that I didn’t have this year due to work, and I could only have enjoyed it more had “Batteries Not Included” been on the TV.


Thinking about it now, I remember we had snow at Easter in 2008, so winter could be hanging around for a while yet. I should probably stock up for a few more snow days over the next few months. As if I needed an excuse!

Em x

3 comments:

  1. lovely bag, very clever putting my efforts of shortening curtains to shame, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT BAG, loved the link and excellent PDF instructions too!
    That was a LOT of snow today, wonder when the tree will go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic helicopter, the Pilot knows a bit about flying machines then lol. Love your bag, wish I could sew.

    ReplyDelete