Tuesday 24 November 2009

E is for... Escape


Some notes from my little holiday. On Tuesday, the Pilot and I jumped on a last minute flight to Malaga, having booked a place to stay only a few hours earlier. Highlights of the week were:

- Horse riding on the beach... even though my back suffered for days afterwards, I never knew the feeling of cantering right up next to the waves could be so exhilerating. In a move not typical of me, I actually let my hair down and felt the breeze on my face. Not once did I worry about the tonnes of sand (eww - don't make me list the reasons that sand gives me nightmares) all around me. In hindsight, I wish I had asked the name of my horse before we left so I could have whispered a little thankyou in it's ear.

- Twilight... OK, am I the last person on the planet to have caught on to these books? Having sceptically bought the first volume at the airport, I devoured the 400 pages in 2 days. This is teenage angst in a concentrated form, and even though my teenage years are firmly in the past, I couldn't help but slip into this world and be gripped to the very end. I must now try to hold off buying the next in the series as I really can't afford to totally neglect my life in favour of schoolgirls and vampires (and I hear New Moon has werewolves - oooh) at the moment.

- Flying... As a child, I was pretty used to flying, what with holidays and living abroad. But now as a grown up, I am just as fascinated by this mode of transport as I was then. A sneaky trip into the cockpit is so much fun. I can't believe that all those buttons can possibly have a purpose, and that 2 people could have the skill to keep an airplane in the air, never mind land it safely on the ground several times a day! That said, part of me doesn't want to know the science behind all this stuff, it's just nice to believe that there are some magic things out in this world of ours!

Now I'm back to the real world, complete with new job and significantly smaller budget. This could take an impressive change of mindset to get through, but I have Christmas in sight now and just the thought of it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

x

1 comment:

  1. Oh go on Em give in to your inner teenager, buy the rest of the series and devour the lot of them. I read all four in 9 days and have since done a second read - taking a short break for now but will definitely read again. I only discovered Twilight saga in the middle of October but am now well and truly hooked.

    Hugs
    Karen x (from Dizzy Dots)

    ReplyDelete