Tuesday 14 September 2010

E is for... The Benefit of Practice

Today, whilst catching up on my blog subscriptions, I read an interesting article on Scott Adams' blog. Talking about hobbies like playing pool, golf or music, Adams suggests that the person with the best record of practice usually performs the best. He says:

"practice is the main determinant of success in a particular field"

Simple right? He even suggests the art of practice should be taught in schools. Now you may find it difficult to believe, but I was a straight A student once, however I must admit this is a lesson that I had forgotten myself in recent years. For example I often find myself frustrated with my lack of progress in the field of photography since aquiring my DSLR a couple of years ago, but have I really practiced? Maybe not.

There have been some not so good photos:


But there have also been some I'm quite proud of:


Today I have taken the time to remind myself that I cannot expect to be an overnight expert and every bad photo I take is another step along the path to awesomeness! Photographers that I admire (mostly through bloggers like Karen Russell and inspiration like Momentary Bliss) produce these great images which I dream of recreating, but they didn't get there by magic, but due to lots of time behind the lense

Luckily for me I'm off to the mountains of Italy in a few days, so photo ops should not be lacking. I will maybe even share some of the results here for some feedback.
Em  x

No comments:

Post a Comment