Wednesday 19 May 2010

E is for... Evidence


My current obsession with beautiful bindings and classic novels has lead me to discover a wonderful blog - letters of note. Each post shows stunning original letters written by my favourite famous folk past and present, complete with transcripts (which are especially necessary in the case of my two favourite so far, Jane Austen and Agatha Christie).



Source

Isn't it reassuring to think these people had imperfect writing and made spelling mistakes too? I can't think of a better way to bring them back to life. It's impressive to think Austen had a family to entertain, and Christie had business affairs to conduct just like the rest of us. When I make excuses for my recent lack of creativity, like work and life in general getting in the way, I will remind myself that my heroines had these same restraints on their passions.


Go and have a browse. I'll be suprised if it doesn't inspire you to shut down your email for a while and pick up a pen & paper. Like it or not, your handwriting is unique to you, and a letter can say a thousand words about its' writer. You never know, your shopping list or witty birthday message might be shared with the world one day.

Em x

1 comment:

  1. wow Em What a fab link. I find those letters fascinating too!

    ReplyDelete